'See something, say something' paranoia?
October 10, 2013 (WABC) -- Hey, I love the "see something, say something" campaign. But are we getting just a tad too paranoid about all this? I'm just askin'.
In the past 36 hours we've had four incidents of shootings and armed gunman in public places that have turned out to be unfounded. Totally unfounded.
This afternoon at San Jose State University, there were reports of a gunman on campus. There was none.
Earlier today at Kean University in New Jersey, there were reports of a black man in a Lakers jersey walking WITH A SHOTGUN. Yes, a young African-American was found in a Lakers jersey. But, no, he didn't have a shotgun.
Then there were reports of gunfire at Princeton University Tuesday night (there was no gunfire), and reports of gunshots at a mall/theater in Maryland (there were no shots).
It's great we have more eyes on the street. It's a great anti-crime and anti-terrorism tool to have an aware citizenry. But are we hearing and seeing boogey men? Maybe.
That's our backdrop to tonight's 11 p.m. newscast, where Meteorologist Lee Goldberg has the latest on the Nor'easter that wasn't, as it appears we dodged a storm. We could still face some coastal erosion because of tonight's high tides, and Lee's tracking that.
And we're keeping an eye on Washington, and any movement to end the shutdown and, perhaps, extend the debt ceiling brouhaha for a while Wall Street reacted strongly to the possibility of averting a debt meltdown, with the Dow up 323 points, the best day of the year in terms of stocks rising.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth 5 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 2 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
32 min ago