October 18, 2013 (WABC) -- It's become a symbol of the changing seasons - the day they come to remove my air conditioners for the winter. It happened this morning. Bam, zoom, gone. Light floods in. The electric bill goes down. And I'm not ready to move long-sleeved t-shirts from the top shelf in the closet to the bottom.
It's like the ritual of spring cleaning, only this one's in fall. And so I'm ready for daylight savings time to end (and to change the batteries on my smoke and carbon monoxide detectors) and for the cold weather. Ready, but longing for the day in April when they move the dang things back in, and spring and summer lie ahead!
For the record, I know that hauling them into storage is a luxury that I hope doesn't interfere with paying for my kids' college educations. But I really did try to weather it out one year, and keep the contraptions in the window. The complaints from my chattering-teeth family were non-stop; it was the coldest winter in family history, and I vowed never to keep them in the windows again.
So, thanks guys for helping haul them away. See you in April. Now on to tonight's newscast.
"I do." Those two simple words will likely be heard aplenty in New Jersey starting Monday. The state's Supreme Court this afternoon refusing to "stay" a lower court's ruling to allow same-sex marriages in New Jersey. Let the festivities begin! Newark Mayor Cory Booker - make that U.S. Senator-elect Booker - has stayed away from officiating at marriages for 7 years, because he didn't think it right to exclude gays and lesbians. Now, he says, he'll start officiating. We'll have reaction, at 11.
We're also following the search for Avante Oquendo, the 14-year-old with autism who walked out of his school in Queens two weeks ago today. Where could he be?
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 1 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 43 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014