Sandy's impact still felt today
October 29, 2013 (WABC) -- I didn't think Sandy would be living so rent-free in my head today. But it is. No question. I'm thinking about our pre-Sandy coverage, and how Meteorologist Lee Goldberg gave what is now a rather famous, but ominous warning: Don't get lulled into thinking this is anything but a storm of historic proportions. This is a life changing storm.
And it was. We were on the air for 42 ½ straight hours. We were on as the storm approached, and as it hit, as we realized just how bad it was. We were on the Jersey Shore as the water came ashore, as the barrier islands were breached, as Staten Island soaked the rising harbor like the sponge it has always been, as the Hudson flooded Lower Manhattan, as the power went out for millions, as homes caught fire, as lives were snuffed out, as families were torn apart.
A great job was done bringing most of life back to normal (whatever normal is). But it wasn't nearly enough. There are still far too many without homes, still too many who've been lost in the bureaucracy, still too many not recovered.
Today, and tonight, we look at it all - the good and the bad, the heroes and those who fell down on their jobs and have disappointed so many.
I hope you can watch some of our coverage today and tonight at 11. And please join me tonight on 7online for what's called a Spreecast between 8-9 p.m. for a lively discussion of what we've learned and what we still have to learn. I'll also be answering your questions. Try it, it's my first time as well!
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast (a big change in the forecast), and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act