November 4, 2013 (WABC) -- The two biggest races we're covering - and the question on election eve seems less about who will win and more about by how much.
Chris Christie has been elected to public office just once in his life. Now the first-term New Jersey Governor is hoping he gets a second term. But c'mon, who believes he won't soon change his focus from Trenton to Washington? When he stands at the podium at the Asbury Park Convention Center tomorrow night (closed to TV cameras except one, in a pool situation that will leave reporters out on the boardwalk), he will be declaring victory for a second term. But in a real sense, his personal quest for the White House begins in earnest.
It will be a tricky feat, governing an important state like New Jersey, with one eye focused on Pennsylvania Avenue. That's the drama we're looking into as our coverage commences for the Nov. 5 general election.
As for his opponent, Barbara Buono, she's run an uphill campaign - but she's cut the lead to just 20 points (it was much higher), as she's publicly complained that the national Democratic Party hasn't given her the resources she could have used.
And in New York City, Bill de Blasio - so comfortably ahead in the polls to become the first Democrat to be elected Mayor of New York since 1989, that his last campaign appearance is at 3 p.m. today. No election eve get-out-the-vote drive. 3 p.m. That's it.
Meanwhile Republican Joe Lhota, campaigning hard to the end, with the man he served as deputy - Rudy Giuliani.
We'll have the latest from all the campaigns tonight at 11.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role 55 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014