It happened on the subway
November 19, 2013 (WABC) -- It's not exactly the kind of New York story I like telling, but it happened. So I'm telling it.
On the subway into work today, a woman stops as she's about to get off and, out of nowhere, throws up on another woman sitting closest to the exit. She looks at the woman, says nothing, and then walks off the subway.
The woman is more than cool, despite the horrified look on her face and the undigested mess on her coat. Are you all right? I asked. Yes, she said. And then she calmly took off the coat, wiped herself down, and got off on the next stop.
What a way to start the day. Wonder what she's telling friends and family tonight? So many great people in New York, and a few weird ones. And remember, if you're one in a million here, that means that there are 8 of you.
That's the backbeat for me as we prep tonight's 11 p.m. newscast. We'll have the latest on that New York cop in the hospital - but now out of a coma - who was beaten while working his overnight moonlighting job as a security guard at a restaurant. His police union is now calling for the resignation of the NYPD's chief of Internal Affairs for the way he's investigating the case. The union leader calls it harassment.
Also at 11, we'll have the latest on that volunteer firefighters from Malverne on Long Island who was shot and killed by a close friend during a hunting trip upstate. The friend may now face charges.
And two cancellations worth nothing tonight:
The first is the "Pray Away The Gay" event at Cardinal Spellman High School in the Bronx. The second is the Young Conservatives student group at the University of Texas in Austin calling off their "Catch an Illegal Immigrant" event. Much protests and justified to-do over both events. Good call, fellas.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen