The trouble with pit bulls
November 20, 2013 (WABC) -- I was walking with my 4-year-old daughter last week and saw a young man being pulled by his pit bull, towards us. I ain't no fool, so I said to my daughter that we should move to the right and give the dog plenty of room.
"How dare you insult me like that!" said the young man. "That's so mean, to treat me and my dog like that." I ignored him. I mean, perhaps his pit bull was the cutest little thing ever, but tell me why I'm supposed to believe that. After all the stories we do about pit bulls ripping body parts off people. And I know, I know, all the pit bull lovers will write in saying pit bulls don't kill people, it's pit bull owners that are in the wrong.
Right. Just like guns don't kill people, people kill people. Maybe, but I'm just not willing to take that chance with my child, thankyouverymuch.
I thought of that story today when we heard about a 5-year-old boy in Yonkers, getting parts of his genitals ripped off by a pit bull belonging to a member of his family. Dogs can nip at little kids, we know that. But ripping off his testicles? So go ahead, pit bull lovers, blame the owner. But if I'm walking down the street with my kid, I'm getting out of the way. We'll the latest on the injured boy, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, if you ride a large bus or one of those big motor coaches, good news tonight. Federal regulators say they'll require lap and shoulder seat belts for everyone on board starting in 2016. Why this hasn't happened before is befuddling. Also taxing my thought processes: Why in the world aren't school buses included in this must-have-seatbelts ruling?
I don't know, but I'm just sayin'.
We are looking into all this, for tonight's 11 p.m. newscast.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines