Too fast for the curve
December 2, 2013 (WABC) -- 82 miles an hour entering a wide curve that calls for going 30 mph.
You know what that means if you're driving your car. No different for a train, except that it has a lot more people on board than in your car.
Could human error be to blame for the deadly train derailment on Metro North's Hudson Line Sunday morning? Four people were killed, more than 5 dozen were hurt.
So what happened? The brakes were apparently working prior to the derailment. The NTSB is talking to the engineer and analyzing his cell phone. Was he distracted? Was there some kind of other mechanical problem? It's all just so sad.
And another issue so many of you have raised: Would seat belts on board have saved lives? Or cut down on the number of those injured? After, all, three of the four who were killed were ejected from the train.
Tonight at 11, we'll have the latest on the investigation, and what really happened.
Meanwhile, service on the Hudson Line is suspended indefinitely, as investigators inspect what they call the crime scene.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 43 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 18 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 5 min ago