A judge rules, but phone spying can go on
December 13, 2013 (WABC) -- So maybe the plot line of "Scandal" will have to adjust to today's court ruling that the NSA surveillance program? Or maybe not. The federal judge's ruling that the phone spying by the feds is 'almost certainly' unconstitutional is mitigated by a 6-month stay while the government appeals.
If it's unconstitutional, then it shouldn't be happening, right? I'm no constitutional lawyer - in fact, I'm no lawyer, period - but this just seems a tad confusing, no? Can you imagine, say, a federal ruling finding racial discrimination unconstitutional, but, go ahead bigots, it's okay to be racist for another 6 months while the Klan appeals.
I'm just sayin'.
We'll have the latest on the NSA ruling, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, another traffic mess at the George Washington Bridge for the evening rush, and tonight we're going to take a closer look at what is becoming the area's latest White Elephant of a transportation connection. The world's busiest bridge- which carries 102 million vehicles a year - has been beset with backups and problems on its span, as workers make long-scheduled repairs. But what's really going on? Are the temporary fixes causing the problems or are the problems deep-seeded? We dig deeper tonight.
And Meteorologist Lee Goldberg is tracking yet another snow storm hitting us overnight and early in the morning. Welcome winter!
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11, right after 20/20.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos