A judge rules, but phone spying can go on
December 13, 2013 (WABC) -- So maybe the plot line of "Scandal" will have to adjust to today's court ruling that the NSA surveillance program? Or maybe not. The federal judge's ruling that the phone spying by the feds is 'almost certainly' unconstitutional is mitigated by a 6-month stay while the government appeals.
If it's unconstitutional, then it shouldn't be happening, right? I'm no constitutional lawyer - in fact, I'm no lawyer, period - but this just seems a tad confusing, no? Can you imagine, say, a federal ruling finding racial discrimination unconstitutional, but, go ahead bigots, it's okay to be racist for another 6 months while the Klan appeals.
I'm just sayin'.
We'll have the latest on the NSA ruling, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, another traffic mess at the George Washington Bridge for the evening rush, and tonight we're going to take a closer look at what is becoming the area's latest White Elephant of a transportation connection. The world's busiest bridge- which carries 102 million vehicles a year - has been beset with backups and problems on its span, as workers make long-scheduled repairs. But what's really going on? Are the temporary fixes causing the problems or are the problems deep-seeded? We dig deeper tonight.
And Meteorologist Lee Goldberg is tracking yet another snow storm hitting us overnight and early in the morning. Welcome winter!
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11, right after 20/20.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera