John Henson, son of Muppets creator, dies at 48
SAUGERTIES, N.Y. -- Puppeteer John Henson, the son of the late Muppets creator Jim Henson, has died in New York. He was 48.
Cheryl Henson says her brother died of a "massive heart attack" at his home in Saugerties on Friday. She says it happened after he had been building an igloo in the snow with his daughter.
Henson followed in his famous father's footsteps as a puppeteer, performing as Sweetums the ogre in several films, including "Muppet Treasure Island" and "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie."
Cheryl said her brother also made appearances in the original Coca-Cola Polar Bear suit. She described him as an "artist who also loved working the land."
Henson was a shareholder and board member of The Jim Henson Company.
Henson leaves behind his wife Gyongyi and two daughters, ages 10 and 15. A private funeral service is planned.
famous deaths, eyewitness news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman 7 min ago
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face 32 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on joining Russia
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- LI police make arrest in string of home burglaries 13 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
WABC Entertainment Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos