7 On Your Side
Debt settlement company fails
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The claims sounded too good to be true. A debt settlement company that promised to negotiate your credit card bills down to just pennies on the dollar.
One Bronx woman trusted them enough to send them thousands, but wound up losing much more.
"They are thieves," said Irene Brown.
Irene Brown is talking about a debt settlement company called Hess Kennedy.
Irene says it promised to get her creditors to slash her bills. She agreed to pay them $450 per month.
She adds, "They (said they) are going to eliminate my debts."
But Hess Kennedy never paid any of her credit card bills. Now interest and late charges grew Irene's debt to $25,000. Her creditors have now sued and even frozen her bank account.
What does Hess Kennedy say? A reporter from WPLG came face to face with the company's COO outside their Florida office.
In February Florida's Attorney General sued Hess Kennedy for deceptive trade practices in misleading thousands of consumers.
"This is a terribly frightening time for many consumers. And a lot of the unethical companies know that and will pray upon that," said an employee of Nova Debt.
Non profit Nova Debt helps consumers for a minimal charge.
They add, "What's happening is the settlement companies will hold the money in a separate account. While the accounts, while your credit card accounts continue to go delinquent."
As for Irene? After Eyewitness News called, Hess Kennedy refunded all her money more than $8,500.
Hess Kennedy wouldn't talk about the Attorney General's lawsuit. But it did say they came up short in their customer service and had agreed to refund money for all of their unhappy clients. The Florida AG says their case is in the discovery phase.
Now if you want a non-profit credit counselor, Click Here.
FTC Web Site: Managing Credit, Click Here.
FTC: In Debt? Advice for Consumers in Trouble, Click Here.
7 on your side, tappy phillips
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead 23 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg 9 min ago
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
23 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
34 min ago