7 On Your Side
The best shopper discount cards
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It seems that every store offers them now, those discount cards that clog up your key ring and wallet.
"It can be a good time to be a consumer, especially if you're a smart consumer." That's the sage advice ShopSmart Magazine's Jody Rohlena gives to 7 On Your Side's Tappy Phillips about discount cards.
But if you've got 'em, how do you use them to make the most of your savings? "Look for the deals, look for opportunities like this where you can really maximize your money."
At A&P we found fifty-cents off instant coffee and $1.20 off tea. But, only if you use your store card. And if you want to save even more, add the card savings to sales advertised in the circular. And buy more than one.
"The items are on sale to begin with. So it's a product you use, buy it, stock up, keep them on hands and maximize your savings two times," advises Jody.
And did you know that book stores, pet stores and even movie theatres are now offering savings cards?
Theatres will give you anything from free popcorn, to soft drinks, to free tickets.
And you can save big on pet supplies. We found $14 to $16 dollars off aquarium supplies at this PetSmart.
"Plus, you'll get coupons in the mail, stuff like that."
And don't forget the savings you can get with motorist and AARP cards. There are fees for joining, but it can pay off.
"If you are using your AAA membership to save on other services that you are buying anyway, you've made that membership pay for itself," says Jody.
And to avoid a mailbox full of spam, make sure you're signing up with stores that promise "not to sell customers names." Or check the appropriate box that prohibits them from passing along your information.
So now you have a key ring full of little plastic tabs. Don't worry, there's a solution for that, too. It's called The "Keyringthing." You can put the bar codes from up to six stores on one card.
"You just hand it to the cashier, whatever stores you happen to be in, and suddenly instead of carrying six cards around, you just got one."
The stores offer these cards in order to get your business and keep you coming back. The deals are out there, just be smart and make them work for you.
Story by: Tappy Phillips
Produced by: Steve Livingstone
STORY BY: Eyewitness News reporter Tappy Phillips
7 on your side, tappy phillips
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 54 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 28 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease 17 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
54 min ago