7 On Your Side
The best shopper discount cards
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It seems that every store offers them now, those discount cards that clog up your key ring and wallet.
"It can be a good time to be a consumer, especially if you're a smart consumer." That's the sage advice ShopSmart Magazine's Jody Rohlena gives to 7 On Your Side's Tappy Phillips about discount cards.
But if you've got 'em, how do you use them to make the most of your savings? "Look for the deals, look for opportunities like this where you can really maximize your money."
At A&P we found fifty-cents off instant coffee and $1.20 off tea. But, only if you use your store card. And if you want to save even more, add the card savings to sales advertised in the circular. And buy more than one.
"The items are on sale to begin with. So it's a product you use, buy it, stock up, keep them on hands and maximize your savings two times," advises Jody.
And did you know that book stores, pet stores and even movie theatres are now offering savings cards?
Theatres will give you anything from free popcorn, to soft drinks, to free tickets.
And you can save big on pet supplies. We found $14 to $16 dollars off aquarium supplies at this PetSmart.
"Plus, you'll get coupons in the mail, stuff like that."
And don't forget the savings you can get with motorist and AARP cards. There are fees for joining, but it can pay off.
"If you are using your AAA membership to save on other services that you are buying anyway, you've made that membership pay for itself," says Jody.
And to avoid a mailbox full of spam, make sure you're signing up with stores that promise "not to sell customers names." Or check the appropriate box that prohibits them from passing along your information.
So now you have a key ring full of little plastic tabs. Don't worry, there's a solution for that, too. It's called The "Keyringthing." You can put the bar codes from up to six stores on one card.
"You just hand it to the cashier, whatever stores you happen to be in, and suddenly instead of carrying six cards around, you just got one."
The stores offer these cards in order to get your business and keep you coming back. The deals are out there, just be smart and make them work for you.
Story by: Tappy Phillips
Produced by: Steve Livingstone
STORY BY: Eyewitness News reporter Tappy Phillips
7 on your side, tappy phillips
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 56 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 44 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 52 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 45 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 10 min ago
- Backpacks left at Boaston marathon finish...
59 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
34 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos