7 On Your Side
A taxing situation
STATEN ISLAND, NEW YORK (WABC) -- One Staten Island condo owner said it was a classic case of good news, bad news. On one hand, her management company won a $75,000 property tax refund to be split up among more than 90 unit owners. But after months went by, some owners were left wondering where's the money?
"It's 3 months later, and we still don't have our money," said Sharon Hansen. She was talking about a property tax refund check she's due.
"No, no, no answers from anybody," she said.
Earlier this year, her condo's management company disputed the building's property tax bill and won, a tax refund worth a whopping $75,471.85.
Last August, the New York City Commissioner of Finance sent out a check, but that money never found it's way to the condo owners.
"Is it gonna be a credit? Am I gonna get a check? Either way it doesn't matter, I just wanna know when I'm gonna have it," Hansen said.
Hansen, a 2 year resident, has no job and could use the extra money.
"I'm out of work. Alot of people in the building are out of work. We pay alot of money to the managing agent a month," she said.
What's taking so long? Last month, we called the managing agent J.A.L Diversified Management Corp. It's director said it needed months to calculate the amount each owner would get.
But, Sharon says she was able to get that information with one phone call to the NYC Finance Department.
So we kept calling the management company for a month, and finally?
"Got my tax refund check," beamed Sharon.
Sharon showed us copies of checks delivered just days ago. Totals ranged from $660 to $1900. As for Sharon? She got a check for nearly $191.
And that made Sharon very happy. "After 4 months of asking where our money was, we finally got it. Thank to you guys.
7 on your side, lori stokes
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion 45 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion 58 min ago
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas