7 On Your Side
Not a bus stop anymore, but...
FLATBUSH (WABC) -- Pamela Blount can't hide her disgust.
Last summer the city employee got a handful of parking tickets, each $115, all for parking in a bus stop. There's just one problem.
"Not a bus stop," she said. "As of the 27th, this is no longer a bus stop."
She's talking about the 27th of June. That's when the MTA discontinued the whole bus line on her street.
This route was one of seven entirely discontinued in Brooklyn to help the MTA close an 800 million budget deficit. The routes were stopped, but the signs, all over Brooklyn, remain.
The bus stop sign remains at 3rd and Dean, but on the same pole there is a sign saying the exact opposite - the bus stop is gone.
Pamela even put a sign in her car window to let traffic officers know not to ticket, but she still got four or five tickets.
Bus stop signs still litter the defunct B-23 line at Cortelyou and Marlborough.
Farther up 3rd avenue, another expensive relic - a brand new bus shelter - even though the bus line is long gone.
"It's really one of those things that's unfair to the people," resident Ron Couey said
"It's not fair. It's unacceptable. It's wrong and it's gotta stop," Councilman David Greenfield said.
He says he's been fighting a losing battle on this very problem since July.
"They only care about making money for themselves and for the city and that's just wrong," he said.
The D-O-T says it alerted traffic agents not to ticket in these bus stops and the city vows it will dismiss all these tickets, but only if you appeal them.
"So thank you, thank you, thank you thank you," Pamela said.
She is happy because after we called, the city dismissed all her tickets.
As for the signs, when we returned to Dean and 3rd, the pole, the sign -- everything had been removed.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
mass transit, brooklyn, flatbush, new york city, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos