7 On Your Side
Shopping mistakes to avoid
NEW YORK CITY (WABC) -- With only 11 days of shopping left, don't let last minute mean you make some costly mistakes. A Consumer Reports poll shows the average person goes overboard by $811. To avoid it, map out a limit and avoid the remorse.
Post-holiday blues also includes crumbling credit, so stick to cash or your debit card to stay on track.
The "Buy now, Pay later" arrangement is also a sure way to blow your budget. But, on major purchases, charging it on a credit card can protect you too.
"On big ticket items in particular things that you're afraid might break with shipping, you might want to use a credit card," says Amanda Walker of Consumer Reports.
She also warns shoppers not to make the mistake of paying for a warranty. Research and product testing have shown that the "at the register" sales pitch is not worth the money. Repairs are usually less than the warranty costs anyway.
"It tends to be unnecessary insurance, we've looked at brand reliability for decades we found that products tend to not break during the term of the extended warranty," she explains.
And if you think haggling's only for the flea market, think again.
Don't make the mistake of forgetting to haggle, even for high-end items you wouldn't think could be discounted.
"You can haggle anywhere, in department stores, you can haggle online," Walker says. "Your best bet if you're doing it in person: go off hours so the sales people have more time to talk to you and they won't be crazy busy. Always be polite and just ask for a better price."
In the last minute shopping frenzy, many give up trying to find that perfect gift and opt for the go-to gift card. Always look out for upfront fees and expiration dates as millions on gift cards go unused every year.
"Think twice about buying them for people. Make sure it's something they really want and it's a store they definitely will shop in," Walker advises.
Don't forget to check the store's return policy too. There are hefty restocking fees and time limits on how long you have for returns or exchanges. Make sure you check both online and in the store and tell the gift recipient what the policy is so they're happy and you're happy!
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
holiday season, holiday shopping, shopping, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 6 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 23 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 13 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
6 min ago