7 On Your Side
Spotting a fake online review
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Online reviews can be useful to provide honest opinions on everything from restaurants to hotels, but what you see may not be what you get.
So how can you tell the difference between an honest online review done by a real customer, like a photo editor assigned to let the picture speak for itself, and a phony write-up?
"Read through them if the reviews seem glowing or inconsistent, question that," Angie Hicks said.
Her "members only" consumer review website, Angie's List, uses an I-T algorithm to spot fake business reviews, does not allow anonymous reviews and will flag any company they find reviewed themselves.
"You can tell when the marketing department writes it," she laughed.
A recent Cornell University study found certain patterns are deceptive indicators like directly mentioning the full name of the business in the review. Fake reviews also mention "I" and "Me" more often than real ones, use plenty of adverbs like "very" and "really" and use plenty of exclamation points.
Yelp relies on reviewers who sign up and develop a profile to lead others to that perfect burger or doctor. Yelp uses filters to protect consumers and business owners from fake, shill or malicious reviews.
It's also important to know how the website your relying on to review that restaurant, hotel, service or professional makes their money. Can a business pay to be listed?
Writing fake reviews has also become a business, look at all these writers offering to write positive reviews for just a 5 dollar fee!
"There's incredible value in consumers sharing their opinions with one another, but they have to own those opinions," Hicks said.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
7 on your side, nina pineda
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury 58 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys 35 min ago
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court 45 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos