7 On Your Side
More problems for customers of Hackensack, New Jersey
HACKENSACK, New Jersey (WABC) -- There is more fallout for customers of a dealership Seven on your Side began investigating in May.
The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission shut the dealer down, but now customers say they're the ones left out in the cold.
For two months Shonette Palmer says she hasn't been able to get answers or help from the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
"I'm very frustrated because i can't drive my vehicle," she said.
She says she's called and last month faxed paperwork to the MVC to get her title or temp tags extended but just gets passed between departments.
"The lady actually told me she got my paperwork I faxed to her, but she overlooked it," adds Palmer.
From the Bronx to Rockland County where Wanita Dixon can't drive her car either for the same reason, expired temporary tags and no title.
The women were both customers of Hackensack Chevy.
The dealership declared bankruptcy last month-just after Seven on your Side helped a Dumont dad get $23,000 paid off on a truck he had traded in months before.
Our story led other customers to the realization; their old cars weren't being paid off either.
Now there are more fallout and delays.
On June 25th after they say calls since May went nowhere, both Shonette and Juanita faxed written requests for help to the MVC.
On June 29th the commission suspends Hackensack Chevy's license to operate, beginning a criminal investigation which they say will delay helping 50 customers with complaints
On July 3rd we ask the MVC how they or we can help Shonette and Juanita get back on the road.
Three weeks after their initial request for help both are still waiting for any direction from the MVC, both have been unable to drive their cars for almost two months.
Friday, the New Jersey motor vehicle commission called the customers and said they were mailing out packets of forms to fill out, but admitted these are the same forms downloadable on the website.
When asked why these folks weren't told to start this process weeks ago an MVC spokesperson said it's not unusual for things to take this long.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
7 on your side, nina pineda
- Investigators search for clues, victims in East Harlem explosion 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- More East Harlem explosion victims identified 13 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store
- Man found alive in body bag dies weeks later
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape