7 On Your Side
Sneaker consignment payment delay
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A teen and his mother looking to get paid for some expensive sneakers he sold on consignment had to turn to 7 On Your Side for help.
These coveted shoes are so popular, fans even camp out for days in front of stores to buy them up as soon as they're stocked.
Why? Because the highly hyped sneakers can be resold at huge profits.
"So it was kind of a neat way to make money, legitimate money," said Jean Mulhern, mother of sneaker collector and seller.
Jean Mulhern's 15-year-old son, Zac collects and sells the athelete endorsed footwear and last spring got a hold of some hot Lebron's.
The Miami Heat forward's signed sneaks currently fetch the hugest sums.
"There was pair for $400, one for $200 and I think $260," Jean Mulhern said.
Zac took the shoes to the Stashouse store in the Danbury Fair Mall, which offers to sell shoes on consignment.
"So he brought three pairs and the guy gave him a receipt indicating he could make some money of them I think the value of them was $860," Jean Mulhern said.
Jean says the store resold the shoes right away, but getting the money for them proved to be no easy task.
"I would ask them for the money, send them a copy of my receipt he said he would get back to me told me he would send me a check. Days would go by, weeks would go by, never got the money," Jean Mulhern said.
Trips to the store to speak with the manager also went nowhere.
Next she complained to mall management, but still no cash.
"I did not think I was every going to get my money back," Jean Mulhern said.
So the frustrated mom call 7 On Your Side and we got in touch with Stashouse, within days a bank check was issued for $860, the full amount Zac was owed.
"First I want to say thank you. I watch that show all the time and never thought it would work for me," Jean Mulhern said.
7 On Your Side spoke to a store manager, he declined any further comment about the delay.
The mom thought this was a good lesson for her son and so many other kids who are engaged in this buying and selling.
You have to know who you're dealing with before you get into this business!
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
7 on your side, nina pineda
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
57 min ago
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos