7 On Your Side
Sneaker consignment payment delay
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A teen and his mother looking to get paid for some expensive sneakers he sold on consignment had to turn to 7 On Your Side for help.
These coveted shoes are so popular, fans even camp out for days in front of stores to buy them up as soon as they're stocked.
Why? Because the highly hyped sneakers can be resold at huge profits.
"So it was kind of a neat way to make money, legitimate money," said Jean Mulhern, mother of sneaker collector and seller.
Jean Mulhern's 15-year-old son, Zac collects and sells the athelete endorsed footwear and last spring got a hold of some hot Lebron's.
The Miami Heat forward's signed sneaks currently fetch the hugest sums.
"There was pair for $400, one for $200 and I think $260," Jean Mulhern said.
Zac took the shoes to the Stashouse store in the Danbury Fair Mall, which offers to sell shoes on consignment.
"So he brought three pairs and the guy gave him a receipt indicating he could make some money of them I think the value of them was $860," Jean Mulhern said.
Jean says the store resold the shoes right away, but getting the money for them proved to be no easy task.
"I would ask them for the money, send them a copy of my receipt he said he would get back to me told me he would send me a check. Days would go by, weeks would go by, never got the money," Jean Mulhern said.
Trips to the store to speak with the manager also went nowhere.
Next she complained to mall management, but still no cash.
"I did not think I was every going to get my money back," Jean Mulhern said.
So the frustrated mom call 7 On Your Side and we got in touch with Stashouse, within days a bank check was issued for $860, the full amount Zac was owed.
"First I want to say thank you. I watch that show all the time and never thought it would work for me," Jean Mulhern said.
7 On Your Side spoke to a store manager, he declined any further comment about the delay.
The mom thought this was a good lesson for her son and so many other kids who are engaged in this buying and selling.
You have to know who you're dealing with before you get into this business!
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
7 on your side, nina pineda
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 53 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 54 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 20 min ago
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Family loses two in East Harlem explosion
15 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from...
20 min ago