7 On Your Side
Couple given second chance for dream wedding
NEW YORK (WABC) -- On year after Hurricane Irene, a couple is able to celebrate the wedding of their dreams.
After the storm hit last summer, they thought the ceremony and their savings were gone.
The last time 7 On Your Side talked to the Shea and Matt Bailey, they were devastated after Hurricane Irene roared up the coast and crashed their Asbury Park wedding.
7 On Your Side got their refund back, $30,000 from the hotel which cancelled the reception, but money couldn't console the couple robbed of wedding memories.
After 7 On Your Side's story aired, Shea and Matt were contacted by a syndicated talk show and went on the program thinking they were going to talk about the wedding disaster, but they got the surprise of their life!
"Flabbergasted, the two of us had no idea what was going on!" Shea Bailey said.
They were given an all-expense paid five night honeymoon!
"We get to renew our vows in St. Lucia on the beach like we had planned. We were shocked!" Shea Bailey said.
Their original ceremony got bulldozed over when the beach closed and their 250 guests never got to eat and dance the night away, but on Sunday August 19th they will, a year after Hurricane Irene.
"We gave them their wedding, the music, the food, the flowers," said Ed Reagoso, General Manager of the Wilshire Grand Hotel.
Shea and Matt had the reception of their dreams.
"I wore my wedding gown because there were so many family and friends that did get to see it last time," Shea Bailey said.
The police officer and the furloughed teacher finally got the wedding of their dreams.
"It's nice to do good things for good people, doesn't happen too often!" Reagoso said.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
wedding, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute 21 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
54 min ago