7 On Your Side
7 On Your Side: Waiting for pay day
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It was a role reversal for this nurturing mother of 5. She's spent her life giving help, taking care of under-privileged special needs kids. But when her paychecks stopped, it was the caregiver who needed a helping hand from 7 On Your Side.
It was a simple and stark lesson for this lifelong teacher.
Leakatina Smith worked at Heavenly Miracle Academy, a daycare center based in Brooklyn, for nearly a month. Now, the place owes her thousands in back wages.
"It put me under a lot of stress because I have 5 kids. I even went to the food stamps to help food. We were really getting behind," Smith said.
Last fall, Lea's old college professor helped get her the job as the head teacher of the academy's pre-k program for special needs children.
"I was crying, I was just so grateful," she said, because that was a promotion.
Lea worked full time last September, but by month's end, she never got a paycheck.
"He was like, 'Don't worry. You're going to get paid.' Next thing I know, I'm like, I can't take this no more," she said.
So she left and started texting the book-keeper, pleading for pay.
Two months later, she received a ray of hope. The money was promised, but then she still did not get paid. So, Lea called 7 On Your Side.
"That's right. I really couldn't take it no more," she said.
Now without pay for nearly 4 months, she and her husband are behind on their mortgage.
"I was feeling helpless," Lea said.
So we called and were told the payment would take another month because they never got her timesheets, but minutes later, a miracle from the academy: Timesheets were found!
Just hours after our calls, Lea had her check and payment in full.
"I'm happy and I want to give a special thanks to 7 On Your Side. I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks so much guys," she said.
The owner of the Heavenly Miracle Academy confirmed Lea should've been paid long ago, and that it was a mix-up on their part. They also said she was the only employee with a payment problem. As for Lea, she's on to a new job teaching special needs kids and is loving it.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
7 on your side, nina pineda
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says 12 min ago
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos