7 On Your Side
The check that could not be cashed
NEW YORK (WABC) -- First the Long Island homeowner lost her husband to heart disease, and then Sandy hit her home.
And then one more body blow - an insurance check for nearly 70-grand - caught up in a sea of red tape. It was up to us to throw her a lifeline.
"I was devastated, I cried. Because half my husband's stuff. It's gone. You can't replace this stuff," Nikki Grahn said.
It's a flood of emotions for Nikki - just walking inside the home she and her husband built.
Superstorm Sandy dumped 4 feet of water on it, ruining everything from furniture to mattresses. One keepsake was spared - a priceless wedding photo of her husband, who died more than 7 years ago. It was somehow in pristine shape.
But a mention of her mortgage company, and Nikki goes from sorrow to steaming.
"I'm at the end of my ropes. I'm tired of fighting," she said. "Now I'm angry. I'm really angry."
More than a month ago, she got her flood insurance check worth more than 68-thousand dollars. As is customary, it was made out to both she and her mortgage company, Chase.
In mid-December, Chase endorsed it and sent her back another check.
"Chase put the check in my name and my husband's name, who is deceased. I can't cash this check," she explained.
After her husband's death, she says she gave Chase his death certificate, but she never formally took his name off the mortgage.
"I assumed they did. I dropped the ball," Nikki said.
She eventually got on the ball and says she sent Chase her husband's will and death certificate three times, but still no new check.
Now, Nikki's borrowing and draining her own savings to renovate her home. So we called the bank, and just hours later the money was in her account.
"Thank you so much," she said.
Nikki says she got a great big apology from the bank's regional director, who said he never knew anything the problem. Chase told us Nikki's check wasn't held up. It just took time to clear. Nikki can now pay both herself and her brother back.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
superstorm sandy, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo 50 min ago
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 12 min ago
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos