7 On Your Side
Avon Pavilion back open for business
AVON-BY-THE-SEA, N.J. (WABC) -- An iconic fixture of the Jersey Shore that got washed away by Superstorm Sandy is now making a big comeback, thanks in no small part to 7 On Your Side.
Not only is the Avon Pavilion better than before, it is rebuilding in a remarkable way.
The fact that pancakes are even flipping at the Avon Pavilion is a feat in itself.
The restaurant is open for business nearly eight months to the day after Superstorm Sandy wiped out the iconic 100-year-old establishment.
It's back! It's not rebuilt, but rather reimagined by owner Rob Fishman.
The idea came driving up to Newark Airport, I saw the container terminals," Fishman said.
Since the town couldn't rebuild in time for this summer season, Fishman started building on his own.
"Installed electricity, installed plumbing," Fishman said.
The concept recycled those metal shipping rectangles, turning containers into a kitchen, and cutting out holes for windows and doorways.
Voila! You've got your walkup service windows, a dishwashing area, and a grill.
Back in February, the Pavilion looked kaput. A graveyard of pilings was all that was left.
Then, the borough's town council tried to kick the owner out, voiding his 25-year lease midstream, saying its length made it illegal.
"Aren't you kicking him while he's down?" 7 On Your Side's Nina Pineda said.
But after thousands of signatures on a petition and a spotlight from 7 On Your Side, the mayor changed his mind.
Now, Avon's rebounding, the borough's rebuilt more than 80 percent of its boardwalk, the surf's up, and the stores are open.
"people from North Jersey and New York need to know we are open, the bathrooms are open, the boardwalks open, our entertainments going to start, Avon-by-the-Sea is back!" said Tim Gallagher, Avon-by-the-Sea borough Clerk.
Beachgoers love that the traditional Jersey Shore places, like the Avon Pavilion, are coming back.
"Some of it is temporary, but they're back in business, they signed a 10 year lease, he'll be here for a while!" a customer said.
"I was very relieved. I followed on Facebook, very exciting passing on the tradition to my kids, I lifeguarded here and ate here all the time, happy to be back again," another customer said.
For more information please visit: http://www.avonpavilion.com/
superstorm sandy, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 24 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 18 min ago
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
56 min ago
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos