7 On Your Side
Black Friday shopping guide
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Black Friday is turning into a season, not a single day, but we're going to let you in on a secret.
Right now or even next week is not the best time to buy toys. There is a specific window where the prices for toys drop.
That window is the first two weeks of December. Prices will be low here, and then spike back up for last minute procrastinators as we get closer to the holiday.
But there's plenty of other presents to get now, and you don't need to wait until after Thanksgiving for the deals.
"Black Friday used to be just a day and now Black Friday is a season," said Mark LoCastro of DealNews.com.
And it's a season from the mall to your big box stores. We shopped around with LoCastro, who gave me the deal.
"Black Friday deals start two weeks before Black Friday," he said.
Which means you can start scoring tried and true best bets this weekend.
"Coffeemakers, blenders crockpots, microwaves," LaCastro said.
Mark says look for deep discounts on both small and large appliances.
"Great time for big ticket items like washers, dryers and even refrigerators," he said.
But it's bad time for big ticket TVs though. Luxury, high end flat-screens remain highly priced throughout Black Friday season.
"Wait until December, January and February for bigger deals and better discounts," he said.
If you want a discounted TV, you're in luck. Check out doorbuster ads for rock-bottom deals on off brand smaller models.
"Last year, Best Buy offered a 42 inch TV for $180. You can't go any cheaper than that," LoCastro said.
Your certified resellers are also a better Black Friday bet if you've had your eye on an iPad or iPhone.
"They'll have double the amount of discounts. An iPad 4 will go for $399 -100 bucks cheaper right now," Lacastro said.
Remember Black Friday is about cheap stuff cheap, so wait to buy expensive gifts like jewelry, watches and cameras until after the holidays.
The latest hottest gadgets, like Samsung's Gear, a wristwatch phone and tablet or "phablet" won't be on Black Friday fire sales, but if you want one, better snatch it up.
Same goes for trendy toys, not on sale yet, but in stock.
Stick with second tier electronics, non-designer cloths and small gifts to make the most of your Black Friday.
"Not everything is on sale at the lowest price. Some things you should wait for an even better deal and sometimes there's some hidden Black Friday sales that are only online," LoCastro said.
black friday, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute 36 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014