7 On Your Side
7 things to know when buying a used car
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Used car prices are at their lowest levels in 4 years due to an avalanche of used cars coming off 3 year leases, but how can you snag a great set of wheels for the lowest prices possible?
Here are 7 savvy showroom strategies to save you big bucks.
Tip 1: Narrow the search
Narrow down your search to a few makes and models, and then do a little research.
"Look to see what's the maintenance costs are involved with having that car for the amount of years you would be looking at," John Giamalvo of Edmunds.com said.
He says some more expensive cars could be cheaper to maintain. Their website offers a free service called "true cost to own."
Tip 2: What's left on warranty?
"See what might be remaining on that car warranty. In today's day and age you have some warranties that are 5 years and 60,000 miles some as high as 10 years, 100,000 miles," Giamalvo said.
Tip 3: Maintenance costs
Ask if a dealership will toss in pre-paid maintenance to pay for some of the vehicles service.
Tip 4: Test drive technology
Also, take the car and it's technology for a test spin. "Go through the navigation, the station - just go over the car because with new cars technology there are so many things you can do with it," salesman Stu Coleman said.
Tip 5: Research fair price
Eliminate haggling by determining the fair price for the car. Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds both offer online databases for free.
Tip 6: Mechanic check
And two last "must-do" tips - ALWAYS have a licensed mechanic check out the car.
Tip 7: Vehicle history
Finally, get a vehicle history report.
"Just so you know if there's any history of damage to the car and you'll see the maintenance record also," Giamalvo said.
For more information, please visit Edmunds Quick Guide to Buying a Used Car.
7 on your side, nina pineda
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 9 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident