Girl, 5, raised by cats and dogs
MOSCOW -- A 5-year-old Russian girl found in a filthy apartment imitating the cats and dogs she was shut up with has been placed in state custody as authorities consider neglect charges against her father and other relatives.
Officials said the girl barks like a dog, laps food directly off the plate and seems to have been "raised" by the animals.
Police in the Transbaikal region of Siberia said Wednesday that the girl was kept shut up with the animals in the regional capital, Chita. She lived in the apartment with relatives, including her father and grandparents.
Larisa Popova, head of the children's affairs unit at the local police precinct, told state-run Rossiya television that the girl had developed feral characteristics.
"The child lived in unsanitary conditions. There was a horrible stench," Popova said. "There were many animals - both dogs and cats. In all probability, the girl lived with and was raised by these animals."
Police said the girl understands Russian but rarely speaks. They are gathering evidence to support neglect charges.
Nina Yemelyanova, head of the reception department at a children's home where the girl has been placed, said the child appears to mimic the behavior of animals.
"Today, when I left the room, she jumped up to the door and started to bark," Yemelyanova told Rossiya television. "And she does not know how to behave at the table - when she eats, the tries to put the spoon aside and lap from the dish."
Regional police said water, heat and gas to the apartment had long since been shut off for nonpayment.
The ITAR-Tass news agency cited the girl's mother as saying the child's father had taken her away without her permission when she was 2 1/2 years old. But the father claimed his mother-in-law had asked him to take the child because the mother was not taking proper care of her, the news agency quoted regional police spokesman Yegor Markov as saying.
Markov said the father could be charged with neglect of a minor, which carries a prison sentence of up to three years.
Chita is 2,900 miles (4,700 kilometers) east of Moscow.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Carteret freight train derailment closes turnpike ramps 51 min ago
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Carteret freight train derailment closes...
51 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos