Freelancing becoming popular option
NEW YORK (WABC) -- With it becoming more difficult to find full-time jobs, freelancing options are becoming more popular.
Home is where Martin Walker's heart is, and where his freelance computer software business also finds a home.
"I've been able to choose to do something that i really feel strongly about," says Walker.
It was a bold move going out on his own after 22 years as an information tech manager.
Walker created 'Mindsparke', brain training software, allowing him to pursue a lifelong dream.
"It's also the freedom to do something valuable with your skills," adds Walker. "To do something you feel is valuable".
Martin is one of a rapidly growing number of freelance workers thought now to make up close to a third of the U.S. workforce.
"About 10 years ago when you said I'm freelance, people thought that meant you were like a slacker dude or were unemployed. Now when you say you're freelance people say, what do you do?" said Sara Horowitz, Freelancers Union founder.
Horowitz, has seen membership in her non profit advocacy organization double to 132,000 in the last two years.
"When your a freelancer you have to market to get the work. Then you have to conceptualize the work. And you have to do the work. And then you have to do it all over again," adds Horowitz.
Losing her job in 2008, Lauren Brown became a freelance pop culture entertainment writer.
"It's not the same sense of security that you have when your on staff somewhere and they have a little more invested in you. This is like your constantly proving yourself," says Brown.
Tips to help freelancers
"The sense of freedom and release you get from working for yourself is great, but it's not for everyone," adds Martin.
business, tim fleischer
- Actor James Gandolfini dead at 51 23 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years 26 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013 35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos