Still struggling to find work
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Many people who have been laid off for many months, are still struggling to find work.
We first introduced you to Alfred Poll in October of last year. At that time, he'd been laid-off and looking for work since march of 2008. WATCH PREVIOUS STORY HERE.
Fast-forward to February 2010, and Alfred is still unemployed: 23 months and counting.
"It's extremely frustrating, especially on a day to day basis when you go through the internet and also look in the papers and there's really nothing out there, whatsoever," said Poll.
The dwindling manufacturing sector makes finding work in his field, machine and building maintenance, even more challenging.
So, Eyewitness News arranged for Alfred to sit down with a career consultant, hoping to retool and reenergize his job search.
David Schmier, of www.gethired.com , began by helping Alfred re-worked his resume by condensing and highlighting. And pointing out the two parts to any job search: presentation and attitude.
"No hiring manager wants somebody on their team who's depressed, who doesn't have energy, who isn't confident," said Schmier.
Schmier also suggests that job seekers not limit their search to the internet, explaining that technological convenience means hundreds if not thousands of others are going after the same position.
He also says don't underestimate the value of good old-fashioned networking. An applicant that adds a personal twist is often remembered. And broaden your target industry as your skills likely transfer to other areas.
"It's super competitive out there, so Alfred really needs to use the very best tool and techniques available," adds Schmier.
Alfred says Schmier's advice has given him the boost he needs. They'll continue to work together and Alfred remains confident he'll get hired sooner than later.
"Even though it's been some tough times, I'll get out there, and I'll do it again and I know I will," adds Poll.
business, sandra bookman
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 56 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 57 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 15 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
53 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
56 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos