Spirit Airlines adds carry-on fees
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Bring less, pay less. That's Spirit Airlines new motto.
"I think its horrendous," traveler Chris Pinto said.
It's falling flat with some air travelers who are still trying to sort through exactly what it means.
Here's the bottom line: just when you were getting used to paying to check bags, Spirit Airlines is now charging for carry-on bags too.
Spirit is charging $30 at check-in for any bag that's too big to fit under the seat. The price goes up to $45 for passengers who wait until they get to the boarding gate to pay.
Jared Blank runs a website called Online Travel Review.
"Spirit has decided they want to speed up the boarding process," Blank said.
The company's CEO says it's all about giving passengers a choice.
"It lets consumers decide what is important to them rather than the airline presuming what's important to them," Ben Baldanza said.
In other words, go with Spirit and you'll get a cheaper fare because you won't have to pay the hidden fees charged by other airlines.
"They're actually being more up front about it. They are very clear what you are paying for," one traveler said.
And it doesn't seem to be scaring travelers away.
Pinson says initial signs look promising.
"The check-in process is going well so far," Pinson said Sunday afternoon. "It looks like this is going to speed things up."
airline fees, air travel, airfares, spirit airlines, business, jeff pegues
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
1 min ago