As home heating oil prices drop, should you lock in?
PASSAIC, NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- It's 90 degrees out yet, John Depken is busy talking home heating with his customers.
He owns Keller Depken in Passaic.
It's a full service company that delivers fuel oil throughout Northern Jersey.
"It's a good price right now. It's stable. It looks to be getting better, but you never know what happens," he said.
Oil prices dipped Tuesday because of two things: huge supplies of petroleum products and the struggling u-s economy regained the focus of investors.
The average retail heating oil price in the northeast was one cent lower than Monday's average price.
The price of crude is on its way to a 7 percent drop during august after rising in June and July, according to the website heatingoil.com.
But Depkin says beware.
"Locking in has not worked well for the consumers or the companies in the last few years. The market is steadily going down, so if you lock into a price you're stuck with that higher price," he said.
But analysts say it looks like prices will drop significantly Wednesday, thanks in large part to supply.
"Over inventory is currently at a five year high - gasoline and fuel oil - which can't really hurt us in the long run unless we have excessively cold weather. It looks good for this winter," Depkin said.
Depkin says it's ok to top off your tank, but don't jump for joy yet. Instead, plan ahead.
"Upgrade. Save yourself fuel. We like to save our customers fuel. It helps the economy. It helps the customers. We want happy customers."
A little money up front could save you in the long run.
business, carolina leid
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos