Schumer presses for JetBlue at MacArthur Airport
ISLIP (WABC) -- At the busiest time of the day, Long Island MacArthur Airport looks like a terminal in Omaha.
Yet it's roughly sixty miles from Manhattan and sixty miles from Montauk, and serves a population that is larger than nineteen of the fifty states.
The airline is planning to expand its northeast routes, and Schumer is urging JetBlue to consider MacArthur Airport.
The airport handles only a few dozen commercial flights a day, primarily Southwest, US Airways and Delta. Passengers say it's a great idea.
The airline is making no promises.
"We're always looking into new routes. But we don't have anything official to announce regarding Long Island-MacArthur," a spokesperson said.
Senator Schumer is clearly hoping public pressure will push this plan forward. If his charm offensive is successful, the first JetBlue flights would not be expected before 2013.
long island, islip, macarthur airport, jetblue, business, n.j. burkett
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 49 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 47 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment 22 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos