Woman sues over alleged hotel sex assault
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Alison Fournier says the frightening attack in a hotel room changed her life and forced her from a career she loved.
The former investment banker says it happened last January in Helsinki, Finland in the Hotel Kamp.
That's when she says she woke up naked in bed to find a strange intoxicated man groping her. She got away unhurt, but learned later, he has been given a key to her room at the hotel desk simply by claiming to be her husband.
"The attack on Alison could have been avoided if the Hotel Kamp had taken even the most basic security precautions such as asking the man for identification, checking the hotel registration, or calling Alison's room to ask whether this man was authorized to receive a key," attorney Gloria Allred said.
Allred filed suit against Starwood Hotels, the parent company of the Hotel Kamp, alleging negligence and negligent infliction of emotional distress and seeking unspecified damages.
"Alison has chosen to speak out today because she hopes by doing so she will be able to warn other women who may be traveling alone of the danger that they may face," she said.
Starwood Hotels issued a statement:
"We are taking this allegation seriously and are working with the hotel in question to understand the facts and any breach of security that may have contributed to this very unfortunate event."
Because of the lingering trauma, Fornier says she left her job and New York City.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lawsuit, legal, sexual assault, starwood hotels, gloria allred, business, sandra bookman
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding 35 min ago
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area 22 min ago
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video 36 min ago
- Boy Scouts to accept openly gay boys as Scouts 52 min ago
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday 55 min ago
- The New DNA fingerprint: Cell phones
- Photographer chronicles wife's breast cancer battle
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane... 4 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem...
55 min ago