Dick's stores suspend sales of certain rifles
PITTSBURGH -- A sporting goods chain says it's suspending sales of modern rifles nationwide because of the school shooting in Connecticut.
Dick's Sporting Goods also says it's removing all guns from display at its store closest to Newtown, where the massacre took place.
Authorities say a gunman killed 26 people, mostly children, with a military-style rifle at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday after killing his mother. He then killed himself.
A statement posted on Dick's website expresses sympathy for the victims' families. It says sales of modern sporting rifles will be suspended during "this time of national mourning."
Dick's declined to answer Associated Press questions about how long the suspension would last or which weapons were being pulled.
Pittsburgh-based Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. has more than 500 stores in 44 states.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
gun control, connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, business
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner 59 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 2 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 27 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery