Choosing salads when eating out
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Consumer Reports ShopSmart evaluated salads that can stand in for a meal. You know, the ones with added chicken or shrimp.
They came from restaurant chains like Chili's, Panera Bread, and Olive Garden, as well as from fast-food joints like Wendy's and McDonald's. The testers rated the salads on their overall nutrition. Then taste testers tried the healthiest ones to see how good they are.
Turns out, a meal-based salad is not always the healthiest choice. For example, Chili's Quesadilla Explosion Salad packs 1,400 calories and 88 grams of fat. That's almost as many calories as its Classic Bacon burger. And another salad from Chili's has almost as much sodium as the daily-recommended intake.
But Consumer Reports did find some healthy salads that were tasty, even without a lot of dressing.
One of the best was Panera's BBQ Chopped Chicken Salad with Barbecue Sauce. It has 350 calories, 10 grams of fat, and 6 grams of dietary fiber - no dressing needed. Taste testers said the barbecue sauce was plenty. Plus, skipping the dressing saves 140 calories and 11 grams of fat.
Also from Panera, the Asian Sesame Chicken Salad. Testers liked the sweet-and-sour dressing but only used about half of it, saving almost 50 calories and 4 grams of fat.
And On the Border's Citrus Chipotle Chicken Salad is still a nutritional winner even with all of its dressing. It has 290 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, and 11 grams of dietary fiber. And it tastes good, too.
If you're looking for a healthful salad from a fast-food restaurant, Consumer Reports says try Wendy's Mandarin Chicken Salad. Testers said it was tasty even with just a little dressing, and it also rated good for nutrition.
Other ways to shave off calories from your salads include skipping toppings such as croutons, noodles, or nuts.
Consumer Reports has no commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor appearing on this Web site.
consumer reports, consumer news, sade baderinwa
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall