Consumer Reports rates the best smoothies
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The number of smoothies being sold in supermarkets keeps growing, racking up more than $150 million in sales every year. But are they nutritious? And which ones taste best? Consumer Reports checks out the top-selling brands.
Tommy and James O'Brien had a fun job. They're among the 34 kids who helped Consumer Reports test smoothies, the kind you can have with lunch or for a snack.
"I like the taste," declared Tommy O'Brien.
Consumer Reports also had taste testers sample the smoothies and its food experts evaluate nutrition. Some are fruit-based. Others are dairy-based.
"Ounce per ounce, the fruit-based smoothies had slightly fewer calories than the dairy-based," Consumer Reports' Amy Keating said.
But not all were nutritional winners.
"One of the benefits of eating whole fruit is dietary fiber," Keating said. "But Naked Berry Blast says it has zero grams of fiber. You want to choose a smoothie with at least three grams of fiber per serving."
And SunnyD Smoothie Strawberry Swirl says that it has "as much calcium and vitamin D as milk."
"But it has 30 grams of sugar in an eight-ounce glass," Keating said. "So it's not a good substitute for milk."
When it comes to taste, Consumer Reports recommends the dairy-based Lifeway Lowfat Kefir Strawberry. It's also a good source of calcium and protein.
Among fruit-based smoothies, top scores went to Bolthouse Farms Berry Boost Blend, which is 100 percent juice. It has four grams of fiber and lots of vitamin C.
With any of these smoothies, Consumer Reports says it's important to check the serving size.
Often they contain more than one serving, so if you drink the whole bottle, you're getting a lot more calories than you think.
consumer reports, consumer news, sade baderinwa
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem 58 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help 41 min ago
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey 21 min ago
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 55 min ago
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 31 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse