How to find a last-minute travel bargain
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The tight economy has changed people's travel habits. Last-minute travel is up 20 to 30 percent this year, due in part to the great deals that can be found.
Going to a warm climate in July or August may not sound inviting, but when you look at the prices being offered, it could be enough to change your mind.
Caribbean resorts and cruise lines are slashing prices.
"Hotels and cruise lines, they know that they have these rooms and berths available, and they have to make them go or else they're going to go empty," said Sean O'Neill, senior editor of Budget Travel. "So you can really take advantage, if you're flexible, for a last-minute trip."
You can save a whopping 20 to 40 percent on hotels, and even more if you stay in a vacation rental. States like Florida and California are flooded with homes to rent for the week or weekend.
And taking a cruise with the family is no longer a budget buster.
"With two weeks notice, you can have a $100 a day per person cruise in the Bahamas on Carnival," O'Neill said. "So if you're flexible, you get all your meals included, your family can feel safe, the kids can run around and be in touch with you by walkie-talkie. You can relax, and it's a great family vacation to have. Some incredible cruise bargains right now."
A website to guide you through the cruise deals is Moments-Notice.com.
saving money, consumer news
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest 8 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to...
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos