Why you need to make holiday travel plans now
NEWARK (WABC) -- It may seem too early, but the holidays are coming and experts say you should book your air travel now.
"They really need to come in early to get the best pricing and to get a seat on the plane," travel agent Leonora Ragab said.
The airlines have trimmed their schedules. Fewer seats typically mean higher prices. By some accounts, fares are 20 to 30 percent higher than last year.
"It's such an inconvenience with the tickets and the baggage costs," traveler Steve Martin said. "What choice do you have?"
Some travelers typically wait until the last minute, assuming they'll get a deal. But experts say that strategy may mean you won't go anywhere at all this year.
"I'm going to go on the internet right now and check it out as soon as I get back to work," traveler Debbie Johnson said.
Further complicating this holiday season is both Christmas and New Years Day fall on Saturday, which means plenty of people will be vying to travel the same week.
"If you're flexible, go Tuesday to Tuesday or Wednesday to Wednesday. You'll always pay more on a weekend and especially a holiday weekend," Ragab said.
If you're traveling with a large group, it makes sense to make your itinerary now.
At Newark airport today, there were some travelers who have already booked their seats.
"We booked five months ahead, so it's more than we had to do last year," Lisa Mali said. "I just know if I do it earlier I'm better off," Linda Holtzman said.
Other than plain procrastination, some travel agents say their customers are putting off making their travel plans because they're insecure about their jobs and aren't sure they'll be able to afford it.
saving money, christmas, holiday season, holiday travel, hanukkah, new year, new year's eve, travel, air travel, airfares, consumer news, jen maxfield
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding 40 min ago
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours 37 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area 57 min ago
- Suspect in custody in Queens bus shooting
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident
- The New DNA fingerprint: Cell phones 32 min ago
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday 59 min ago
- 'Nathan's' flagship finally reopens after Sandy 48 min ago
- Consumer Reports: Best sunscreens 48 min ago
- Photographer chronicles wife's breast cancer battle 50 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem...
59 min ago
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours
37 min ago