Consumer Reports: Best car waxes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Want that shiny new car look? Car waxes promise to protect your car's finish and even revive a dull paint job. But how well do they hold up? Consumer Reports' super tough tests deliver the answer.
The cars at this body shop get buffed, polished, and shined, then drive away sparkly, like new.
Can you get the same results at home? Consumer Reports put 19 car waxes through some tough tests to find out.
Included in the tests, liquids and pastes from companies like Nu Finish and Turtle Wax to higher-end ones from Zymol and Auto Glym.
"We rated the waxes on several factors. Among them, how well each wax improved the shine of a painted surface and how long it protected the paint's finish," said Rik Paul, Consumer Reports.
To assess how long a wax protects, testers applied the waxes to these pre-weathered panels and left them outside, exposed to the elements.
Using this machine, testers inspected the panels weekly. With a good wax, the water beads up like this. With this one, the bead is flatter, which means the wax is wearing off.
Testers then move to real cars to see how easy the waxes are to use. Some were tough to remove.
"You want to pick a wax based on your car's condition and how often you wax the car," Paul said.
If your car lacks that new-car luster, Consumer Reports says try Meguiars Next Generation Tech Wax 2.0. It's pricier, $18.50 a bottle, but was one of the best waxes for restoring shine.
If your car's in decent condition, testers recommend Nu Finish NFP-80 paste wax for eight dollars a container.
Consumer Reports says when removing the wax, make sure to use a microfiber cloth. It makes the job easier and a lot less residue is left behind.
consumer reports, consumer news, sade baderinwa
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 40 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Newark tanker fire snarls traffic, delays NJ Transit trains
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Photos: Suspect wanted in attempted rape and robbery
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas 10 min ago
- Report: Average Wall Street bonus tops $164,000 22 min ago
- Malaysia denies report that missing plane kept flying 28 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane