Consumer Reports: Rating celebrity chef's foods
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Who are the most-trusted celebrities? Chefs like Emeril Lagasse and Paula Deen, according to a recent poll. But can you trust celebrity foods to deliver star-studded results?
Consumer Reports' testers got busy tasting foods by famous folks and restaurants to find out.
From Giada De Laurentiis to Iron Chef's Mario Batali, more and more celebrity chefs are making the leap from TV shows to the supermarket.
"The catch with celebrity foods is they can come with a high price tag. They can be two or three times as much as a garden-variety brand," said Kim Kleman with Consumer Reports.
Consumer Reports wanted to know whether celebrity brands are worth their A-list prices. So it taste-tested dozens of tomato sauces, salad dressings, and soups from famous chefs like Wolfgang Puck, restaurants like Rao's, and Hollywood stars like the late Paul Newman.
"Many do include fresher ingredients, but not all," adds Kleman.
Take these Emeril's and Newman's Own pasta sauces. Both list as their first ingredient tomato purée, which is water and tomato paste. So does Ragu, which is less expensive!
Kleman adds, "About half of the celebrity products we tested were no better than cheaper mainstream brands, although a few rated excellent."
Among soups, Wolfgang Puck's Tomato Basil Bisque is the standout, but it's pricey at $3.50.
For pasta sauces, both Mario Batali's Marinara and Giada De Laurentiis' Tomato Basil rated excellent. While his costs a whopping eight dollars, hers is a Best Buy for three dollars at Target!
But no celebrity salad dressings rated excellent. You could probably make a better and less expensive one yourself at home.
Consumer Reports also rated a celebrity wine excellent. The 2007 Greg Norman Estates Shiraz has rich, full fruit flavors and costs 13 dollars.
consumer reports, consumer news
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 35 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term 53 min ago
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera 11 min ago
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break 42 min ago
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
35 min ago