Buying used cars can be a smart move
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In this economy, many people are looking for ways to save on big-ticket items are passing on new cars and buying used. It's not the gamble it used to be, if you do your homework. In fact, Consumer Reports says these days buying a used car can be one of the best ways to save a big chunk of money.
We all know that the value of a new car plummets the moment it leaves the showroom. So this car buyer says, "Why not buy used?"
"It'll last for another ten years, almost as long as a brand new car and save 17 thousand dollars," car buyer, Israel Camacho said.
"Buying a late-model, low-mileage used car can be a smart move. It can cost as much as 45 percent less than the same car was when new, yet still have most or all the features you're looking for and still have years of life left in it," consumer reports, Jon Linkov said.
Consumer Reports says if you're buying a used car, get ready to do some research. As you narrow down your choices, be sure to factor in a vehicle's reliability. Then research going prices and hone in on actual cars on sites like Auto Trader.com, eBay, and Yahoo autos.
"When you find the right car, now is the time to be extra skeptical. Getting a vehicle history report, like a Carfax, is OK, but don't stop there," Linkov said.
You'll need your mechanic to inspect the car, as the vehicle history report doesn't always pick up everything, like accidents. You'll probably need to leave a deposit with the seller. And expect to pay around 100 dollars for the inspection.
"If the car passes mechanical muster, you're ready to bargain. Make an offer based on the prices that you've researched. Be prepared to dicker a little. But also be prepared to walk away," Linkov said.
Solid research and diligence can pay off when you find a great car at a great price.
What about certified pre-owned cars? Consumer Reports says the extra cost may not be worth it, especially if you have done a good job of picking a reliable car. You can find a list of Consumer Reports' best used cars on our website.
consumer reports, saving money, consumer news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks 52 min ago
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane 48 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 20 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
16 min ago
On The Money Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos