The real deal on great airfares
NEW YORK (WABC) -- If you're thinking about taking a trip, maybe you've seen some offers that sound great.
Not so fast. When you try to snag a great airfare online, sometimes it can vanish into thin air. That's what Consumer Reports' shopping expert, Tod Marks, found when he investigated how to cut the cost of flying.
Tod says, "You see a lot of airfare deals out there that sound great. But hidden fees, fine print, and blackout dates can make locking in a great deal as tricky as a soft landing in turbulence."
For example, Travelocity had a "deal" on a roundtrip flight from Philadelphia to London for $277. Once you book, it actually costs almost $666!
Spirit Airlines promotes flights that cost as a little as $9! But to qualify you have to join its $9 club, which costs around $60, and you also may be subject to a lot of additional fees, including up to $45 for each piece of checked luggage, up to $40 dollars per carry- on, and $1 to $199 dollars for a reserved a seat.
There are ways to get a good great deal on a flight. Tod says, "Ideally, you want to book in advance, and never within two weeks of travel. For domestic flights, start looking three and a half months before you fly out."
And take advantage of alerts that many airlines and travel sites let you set up to track fares. And time your purchase! Experts tell Tod that there is a best time to book, 3 PM Eastern Standard Time on a Tuesday. Believe it or not, that's when the greatest number of discount seats hit the market.
Other money-saving moves, Consumer Reports says don't skip looking at airline sites, in addition to third-party ones like Expedia, Kayak, and Priceline. And don't assume discount carriers are the cheapest. Major carriers can't afford to be more expensive than low-price operators because that lands them a lower listing in search engine results.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
consumer reports, airfares, air travel, airline fee, consumer news, sade baderinwa
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act