The real deal on great airfares
NEW YORK (WABC) -- If you're thinking about taking a trip, maybe you've seen some offers that sound great.
Not so fast. When you try to snag a great airfare online, sometimes it can vanish into thin air. That's what Consumer Reports' shopping expert, Tod Marks, found when he investigated how to cut the cost of flying.
Tod says, "You see a lot of airfare deals out there that sound great. But hidden fees, fine print, and blackout dates can make locking in a great deal as tricky as a soft landing in turbulence."
For example, Travelocity had a "deal" on a roundtrip flight from Philadelphia to London for $277. Once you book, it actually costs almost $666!
Spirit Airlines promotes flights that cost as a little as $9! But to qualify you have to join its $9 club, which costs around $60, and you also may be subject to a lot of additional fees, including up to $45 for each piece of checked luggage, up to $40 dollars per carry- on, and $1 to $199 dollars for a reserved a seat.
There are ways to get a good great deal on a flight. Tod says, "Ideally, you want to book in advance, and never within two weeks of travel. For domestic flights, start looking three and a half months before you fly out."
And take advantage of alerts that many airlines and travel sites let you set up to track fares. And time your purchase! Experts tell Tod that there is a best time to book, 3 PM Eastern Standard Time on a Tuesday. Believe it or not, that's when the greatest number of discount seats hit the market.
Other money-saving moves, Consumer Reports says don't skip looking at airline sites, in addition to third-party ones like Expedia, Kayak, and Priceline. And don't assume discount carriers are the cheapest. Major carriers can't afford to be more expensive than low-price operators because that lands them a lower listing in search engine results.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
consumer reports, airfares, air travel, airline fee, consumer news, sade baderinwa
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run 20 min ago
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87 33 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall