Fighting against bank fees
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Thousands of people recently joined credit unions after the uproar Bank of America created with its new debit card fee. Public outcry prompted Bank of America to reverse its decision, but other bank fees are on the rise.
The majority of banks now charge a fee for non-interest checking accounts. Two years ago, most of those accounts were free. Overdraft charges and ATM fees are also at record highs.
And banks are adding other fees. For example, Bank of America now charges e-bank customers $8.95 a month to use a teller. PNC & US Bank charge $25 to close an account open less than six months.
Consumer Reports says that you can fight back. If you're hit with a fee, ask your bank to waive it. If that doesn't work, threaten to move your account.
If you decide to make a move, Consumer Reports says consider a big credit union.
Fees for basic checking at major credit unions are 42 percent lower on average than at big banks. They used to just serve small groups, but that's changed. Now it's pretty easy to find one you can join.
Before changing banks, check to see if your bank charges a closing fee. Make sure all outstanding checks are paid and switch over automatic deposits and bill payments.
Consumer Reports says you can also find lower fees at community banks and online banks. In order to get a handle on a bank's fees and rates, check out its website.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
consumer reports, consumer news, sade baderinwa
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 54 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 55 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 13 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
51 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
54 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
46 min ago
On The Money Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos