Creative kitchen tools not always better
NEW YORK (WABC) -- You could spend hundreds of dollars on kitchen gadgets. How about a crinkle cutter for veggies or goggles for cutting onions? When it comes to cooking, it's a lot easier to get the job done when you have the right tools. And it can be downright disappointing when something doesn't work.
Consumer Reports asked its Facebook fans which kitchen gadgets they rely on and then the list was narrowed down and testers check them out. The list of essentials included can openers, graters garlic presses, and peelers.
Sensory panelists tried out traditional versions of these handy helpers along with ones that offer a twist. But, new-fangled doesn't necessarily mean "improved." More often than not testers preferred tried-and-true designs. And some of the gadgets were just plain awkward.
For example, the Joseph collapsible cheese grater doesn't lock. And the squeeze grater wasn't a favorite either. A better option is the Oxo Good Grips Box Grater for $18. And it even has a compartment with measurement markings for your grated cheese.
The Oxo Good Grips garlic press for $16 has a large chamber and a big plus is a built-in cleaner. And the $20 Oxo Magnetic Locking Can Opener was a lock with its cushioned grip and magnetic arm that keeps the lid from falling into the can.
As for peelers, Consumer Reports recommends the Kyocera ceramic peeler for $18. It has a comfortable handle and an adjustable blade that works well whether the chef is a righty or lefty.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
consumer reports, consumer news, liz cho
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 44 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 19 min ago
On The Money Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos