Creative kitchen tools not always better
NEW YORK (WABC) -- You could spend hundreds of dollars on kitchen gadgets. How about a crinkle cutter for veggies or goggles for cutting onions? When it comes to cooking, it's a lot easier to get the job done when you have the right tools. And it can be downright disappointing when something doesn't work.
Consumer Reports asked its Facebook fans which kitchen gadgets they rely on and then the list was narrowed down and testers check them out. The list of essentials included can openers, graters garlic presses, and peelers.
Sensory panelists tried out traditional versions of these handy helpers along with ones that offer a twist. But, new-fangled doesn't necessarily mean "improved." More often than not testers preferred tried-and-true designs. And some of the gadgets were just plain awkward.
For example, the Joseph collapsible cheese grater doesn't lock. And the squeeze grater wasn't a favorite either. A better option is the Oxo Good Grips Box Grater for $18. And it even has a compartment with measurement markings for your grated cheese.
The Oxo Good Grips garlic press for $16 has a large chamber and a big plus is a built-in cleaner. And the $20 Oxo Magnetic Locking Can Opener was a lock with its cushioned grip and magnetic arm that keeps the lid from falling into the can.
As for peelers, Consumer Reports recommends the Kyocera ceramic peeler for $18. It has a comfortable handle and an adjustable blade that works well whether the chef is a righty or lefty.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
consumer reports, consumer news, liz cho
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 29 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD 21 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 55 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
On The Money Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos