Consumer Reports grades breakfast sandwiches
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's a decision that many of us make later evey morning. - what breakfast sandwich can I quickly pick up? But be careful, some choices can load you up with a day's worth of fat and sodium.
Breakfast on the go is easier than ever. But can you make healthy choices without sacrificing taste?
Consumer Reports graded the nutrition of 106 egg sandwiches sold by fast-food restaurants like Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's, Starbuck's and Subway.
"As far as nutrition goes, just six out of the 106 sandwiches rated very good," Consumer Reports Erin Gudeux said.
What about taste? Consumer Reports' trained taste testers went undercover to at least three different locations of each chain, tasting some of the more nutritious sandwiches.
Of the seven sandwiches tasted, Starbucks Turkey Bacon and White Cheddar Classic Breakfast Sandwich was just so-so.
"I found the egg a little low flavor, and the bacon is salty and smoky," taster Maxine Siegel said. "I'm not getting, really, any meat flavor."
Equally marginal was Dunkin' Donuts Egg White Turkey Sausage Wake-Up Wrap. Testers described it as teeny-tiny - with eggs that were not flavorful.
So which morning pit stop will get you a tasty, nutritious egg sandwich?
Subway! Its Egg White and Cheese on Flatbread is the only sandwich Consumer Reports rated very good for taste. Testers found the egg whites flavorful and the toasted flatbread tender.
"It's worth noting that, with all the sandwiches, the quality varied from location to location," Gudeux said.
And Consumer Reports says don't let your egg sandwich sit for long because as the sandwich cools, so does the taste.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
consumer reports, consumer news, ken rosato
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities 28 min ago
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate 9 min ago
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams