Intersect Fund helps people launch their own business
NEW BRUNSWICK (WABC) -- Virginia Sanchez wanted to be her own boss, so after 30 years of working odd jobs, the Mexican immigrant bought Danny's Deli in New Brunswick.
Virginia says getting a small business loan was impossible, so she learned how to run a business and where to borrow money at the intersect fund.
She borrowed 35-hundred dollars to buy these much needed refrigerators. They're almost paid off and now she's looking to get another loan to expand her business again.
Rohan Mathew runs a not-for-profit organization to help people like Virginia. Here's why: Labor Department numbers show New Jersey's unemployment stands at 9.1 percent. That's higher than the national average.
"Being able to make your own money without having to worry about what salary someone is going to pay you or how many hours they're going to give you this week. It's about freedom. It's about economic independce. And that's invaluable."
The New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development is offering Entrepreneur University at the Intersect Fund for free. It's normally $900.
In 60 hours, instructors show unemployed people how to find customers, keep track of cash, and crank up profits. Clients can borrow up to 10-thousand dollars when they complete the course.
Frank Schlesinger opened up Frank's Pickled Peppers" when he finished his training. "It's extremely scary (owning your own business), but if it was easy everybody would be doing it," Schlesinger said.
Virginia say after two years of hard work the risk was well worth the reward.
Learn more at www.intersectfund.org
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new brunswick, new jersey, small business, consumer news, carolina leid
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 36 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 53 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 7 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 20 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong 17 min ago
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- Brooklyn family desperately searching for...
52 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
36 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage...
47 min ago