Consumer Reports seeks the best-tasting pancakes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- IHOP brings in more money than any other family-style restaurant, but does it make the best pancakes?
Consumer Reports taste tested to see how IHOP pancakes stack up against the competition.
Testers went undercover to find who makes great-tasting buttermilk pancakes - eating at five major chains, including IHOP, Denny's and Cracker Barrel.
"Now, an excellent pancake should be tender and moist, not wet and pasty," Consumer Reports' Tod Marks said. "When it comes to the flavors, you really want get that hint of the grain."
IHOP claims its pancakes are "award-winning with...authentic country flavor."
"The IHOP pancakes looked better than they tasted," Marks said. "As the pancakes cooled, they became kind of tough."
Denny's pancakes tasted as if they came from a mix. So did ones from Country Kitchen.
The best pancakes came from Cracker Barrel and Perkins. They were cooked to a nice golden brown and tasted freshly prepared.
But even with the best restaurants, Consumer Reports found it's better to order pancakes in the morning.
"When we ordered the pancakes off the all-day menu, we sometimes found that they picked up flavors of other foods cooked on the grill," Marks said. "And frankly, they weren't as good."
As for the syrup, Cracker Barrel was the only restaurant where it contains real maple. Though it wasn't 100 percent pure maple syrup, Cracker Barrel does serve it warm.
Consumer Reports compared pure maple syrup to a variety of other types to see which tastes best and found the result to be no contest. Hands down, real maple syrup tastes the best, it said. But you don't want to overdo it, as there are 200 calories in a quarter cup, compared to 20 in sugar-free syrup.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
consumer reports, consumer news
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 1 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
1 min ago