Crackdown on unlicensed contractors
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A crackdown is underway on one of the most biggest industries, affecting just about everyone who owns an apartment or house: home contractors.
Investigators say one out of every 5 home contractors in New York City is operating without a license. And now those contractors are getting busted.
In one case, an unlicensed contractor received more than $200,000 from Brooklyn homeowners who accuse him of never starting or failing to finish jobs.
72 vehicles belonging to unlicensed contractors allegedly caught in the act were recently seized in a 2 month targeted sweep conducted by New York City's Department of Affairs.
"We are literally canvassing neighborhoods, pulling aside anyone we see doing work and making sure they are literally licensed,' NYC DCA Commissioner Jonathan Mintz said.
Commissioner Mintz says aggressive enforcement in Staten Island and Queens, where consumer complaints are the highest, found 1 in 5 home improvement contractors were operating without a license.
"We bring them in get them licensed and with some of them we know they've been leaving the consumer high and dry," Mintz said.
If contractors found guility of unsafe workmanship, excessive expenses and unfinished work want their trucks back, they must first pay fines, get licensed and pay back customers.
"If the complaint is about work, we get them to go back to the home. If it's about a contract, we try to cancel the contract," a mediator said.
To avoid problems like these always use licensed contractors. They've had background checks and pay into a trust fund which gives a consumer up to $20,000 in restitution if something goes wrong. Unlicensed contractors will get caught.
"If you don't (get licensed), we will find you and we will hold your vehicle accountable," Mintz said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
construction, contractor, new york city, consumer news, nina pineda
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 50 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309M for Tuesday drawing
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom 17 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
On The Money Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos