Best chocolates for Valentine's Day
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Want to get your sweetheart an unusual gift this Valentine's Day? Consumer Reports says it might just be a box of chocolates!
Ahhh, chocolate! Have you ever tried champagne truffles covered in rose petals? How about a red fire caramel bar? Those are just some of the exotic bonbons you can buy here at Vosges.
Vosges Exotic Truffle collection was one of more than 30 gift-box chocolates Consumer Reports taste-tested. With unusual fillings like wasabi and paprika, this Vosges box rated excellent. It costs $40 plus shipping.
A Woodhouse Assortment gift box was even better. It costs 90 dollars, plus shipping.
"This assortment has great pieces with amazing flavors like cinnamon toast and buttery pecan pie. The flavors just seem to explode in your mouth," said Erin Gudeux.
While delicious chocolates can be expensive, there are ways to save. Buying at the chocolate shop can save you the shipping costs. And signing up for a company's newsletter or mailing list can help you find savings, too.
"We also found some very good chocolates that you could try that are less expensive," adds Gudeux.
Those include the Ferrero Collection Fine Assorted Confections. It costs just $11 and is sold even at drugstores.
"These chocolates were flavorful, and they had crispy interior coatings and crunchy nuts that added interesting textures," said Gudeux.
Remember, freshly made chocolates have a short shelf life of only 10 to 14 days - so your Valentine just might need some help finishing the box.*
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
consumer reports, consumer news
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
8 min ago