Best time to buy
HUNTGINTON (WABC) -- You know the age old saying time is money, which is why we sat down with Mark DiVincenzo - the author of Buy Shoes on Wednesday and Tweet at 4:00.
"If you know the best time to buy things, you can save money," DiVincenzo said.
For example, gas.
"The best time of the day to buy gas is before 10:00 a.m. What happens is gas station managers and owners come in at 8 or 9 and one of the first things they do is check competition," DiVincenzo explained. "The other thing is the best day of the week to buy gas that is almost always on a Wednesday. They will raise prices on a Thursday for those people going out of town for the long weekend.
What's the best day of the week to buy bread? It's whatever day it's delivered to your local dollar store and that's because dollar stores typically mark down their prices to a third of what you'll pay at a grocery store. I paid only $1 for the loaf that I found.
If you're an online shopper, here are some important days to know. On Tuesdays, men can save nearly half buying clothes online.
Wednesdays is the big discount day for shoes.
Ladies, if you buy a handbag on a Thursday online, you could save 36 percent.
If you want to be efficient not just with your money, but also your time, DiVincenzo found in terms of getting your hair done schedule it for a Tuesday, considered the lightest day of the work week for salons.
Just like Wednesdays at post offices are considered the least busy days.
And what about taking your car to get fixed?
"If there's one day of the week people do not want to be late to work, it's Monday and so they're less likely to drop off their car at a shop," DiVincenzo said.
But Bill Guichard with Lee Julian Inc. in Huntington says Monday isn't often the best time for the mechanics.
"Monday can be difficult. You get a lot of breakdowns over the weekend and people didn't do last week and they kind of hit you hard and fast on Monday morning," Guichard said.
And on that note, what is considered the best day to expect something to get done?
Pattie McArdle from Huntington says Tuesday.
But let's just say you wanted a friend's help. Huntington resident Phylliss Siegrist had a nice answer for that one.
"Best day of the week to ask someone for a favor? If it's a friend, any day," she said.
That friend may actually help you save some money and time.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
huntington, saving money, consumer news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 28 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen