Used car reliability
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Consumer Reports engineers say the new BMW 3 series is great to drive, but its surveys show some older models aren't aging well.
For example, the BMW 335-i from 2007 through 2010 tends to have fuel pump and fuel injection troubles.
There are other popular used cars that can wind up in the shop. Consumer Reports' reliability information on nearly 250 models identifies the most likely problems.
"Car problems don't happen randomly. From the millions of car problems our subscribers report each year, we identify key trouble areas," Jon Linkov of Consumer Reports said.
For instance, the Ford Focus model years 2003 through 2006 -shows problems with the alternator, ignition switch, and battery.
Owners of Dodge Grand Caravans from 2003 through 2006 complain about the power steering, tie rods, water pump, and air conditioning.
"Even Toyota and Honda, which tend to be the more reliable, have model years that are trouble-prone," Linkov said.
The V-6 Honda Accords from 2003 and 2004 have a high rate of transmission failure. And many Accords from 2008 through 2010 experience brake problems.
The 4-cylinder Toyota Camry from 2008 suffers excessive brake wear.
"Of the 17 trouble spots we look at, brakes are the biggest problem with used cars beyond normal wear and tear. Brakes are definitely something you should check carefully before you buy," he said.
Whatever used car you're considering, Consumer Reports says always get it checked by an independent mechanic.
consumer reports, used cars, consumer news, diana williams
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 11 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 22 min ago
On The Money Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos