Eyelash enhancement hazards
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Women have been looking for ways to darken and thicken their eyelashes since the days of Cleopatra. And in the spotlight these days, super-long lashes from pop star Adele and rap singer Niki Minaj. But Consumer Reports' medical adviser says be careful how you get that long lash look.
False eyelashes can trap dirt and bacteria, creating irritation and infection. And they can be difficult to remove.
And Actress Kristin Chenoweth wore sunglasses on "Late Show with David Letterman" after her eyelids swelled up. She got what are called eyelash extensions, where single fibers are glued to your individual eyelashes.
The risks of eyelash extensions are not only an allergic reaction to the glue but also erosion of the inner surface of the eyelids. And they can cause permanent damage to your natural lashes.
The Internet promotes even more exotic eyelash enhancements: weaving tiny glass beads onto ultra-thin wire and applying them with an adhesive to your eyelids. It doesn't take an expert to see trouble coming with sharp objects placed so close to the eye.
Consumer Reports says that you are far better off just using mascara to get fuller, thicker lashes. And you should replace mascara every few months, but you don't necessarily need to buy an expensive mascara. A tried-and-true choice is Maybelline Great Lash Mascara for a little more than $6 a tube.
You can get more information on eyelash hazards HERE.
consumer reports, consumer news, lauren glassberg
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 39 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane 41 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
39 min ago