Consumer Reports best buys in cereals
NEW YORK (WABC) -- When it comes to eating healthy, a diet rich in fiber is right at the top of the list. Fiber can help control your appetite and weight -- and may even help lower the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Yet most adults don't get enough fiber. Consumer Reports says one convenient fix is the breakfast cereal you pick.
High-fiber cereals have come a long way.
"Our first tests, 14 years ago, found that many of the fiber-rich cereals tasted more like straw than grain," Amy Keating of Consumer Reports said.
But in Consumer Reports latest tests of 26 cereals, mostly high in fiber, more than two-thirds tasted very good.
One even rated excellent, Bear CU label Naked Fruit and Nut Granola. But its overall nutrition rating is only fair -- and it has just two grams of fiber per serving.
"Granolas are often thought of as a healthful choice, but they're among the highest in fat and calories, so just be careful how much you eat," she said.
Much better -- four cereals that were very tasty and very nutritious -- with a lot more fiber. Kellogg's All-Bran Original, with 10 grams of fiber; Post Shredded Wheat Wheat 'n Bran, with 9 grams; Post Grape-Nuts the Original, with 7 grams; and Post Shredded Wheat Original, with 6 grams of fiber.
"But name-brand cereals can be expensive. We found two very tasty store-brands that are Consumer Reports Best Buys," Keating said.
One, Market Pantry Frosted Shredded Wheat from Target, is sweet, with a toasted-wheat flavor. It delivers six grams of fiber.
The second, Great Value Raisin Bran from Wal-Mart, has a little more fiber. In milk the flakes lost some crunch but didn't become soggy, even after two minutes.
Either cereal is a great, healthy way to start your day.
Most of the Consumer Reports suggested cereals get you well on your way to the daily recommended amount of fiber. It's 25 grams for women and 38 for men.
consumer reports, consumer news, sade baderinwa
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem 12 min ago
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
26 min ago
On The Money Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos