Consumer Reports best buys in cereals
NEW YORK (WABC) -- When it comes to eating healthy, a diet rich in fiber is right at the top of the list. Fiber can help control your appetite and weight -- and may even help lower the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Yet most adults don't get enough fiber. Consumer Reports says one convenient fix is the breakfast cereal you pick.
High-fiber cereals have come a long way.
"Our first tests, 14 years ago, found that many of the fiber-rich cereals tasted more like straw than grain," Amy Keating of Consumer Reports said.
But in Consumer Reports latest tests of 26 cereals, mostly high in fiber, more than two-thirds tasted very good.
One even rated excellent, Bear CU label Naked Fruit and Nut Granola. But its overall nutrition rating is only fair -- and it has just two grams of fiber per serving.
"Granolas are often thought of as a healthful choice, but they're among the highest in fat and calories, so just be careful how much you eat," she said.
Much better -- four cereals that were very tasty and very nutritious -- with a lot more fiber. Kellogg's All-Bran Original, with 10 grams of fiber; Post Shredded Wheat Wheat 'n Bran, with 9 grams; Post Grape-Nuts the Original, with 7 grams; and Post Shredded Wheat Original, with 6 grams of fiber.
"But name-brand cereals can be expensive. We found two very tasty store-brands that are Consumer Reports Best Buys," Keating said.
One, Market Pantry Frosted Shredded Wheat from Target, is sweet, with a toasted-wheat flavor. It delivers six grams of fiber.
The second, Great Value Raisin Bran from Wal-Mart, has a little more fiber. In milk the flakes lost some crunch but didn't become soggy, even after two minutes.
Either cereal is a great, healthy way to start your day.
Most of the Consumer Reports suggested cereals get you well on your way to the daily recommended amount of fiber. It's 25 grams for women and 38 for men.
consumer reports, consumer news, sade baderinwa
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
On The Money Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos